Empty Cereal Box

Views From Inside an Adoptee

June 12, 2006

Frustration

Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth- Lillian Hellman

MomSeekingPeace posted this radio show that I plan to listen to:

NatRadio-The Adoption Show Second and fourth Sunday of each month, 8:30pm-9:30pm
Michelle Edmunds and David Bishop from Canadian Adoptees for Truth and Openness (CATO) discuss the harm caused by the adoption process.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to Justice everywhere"-Martin Luther King



Pop quiz: If you are looking for a house to buy in your town and you want it to look like a model from Architectural Digest, where do you begin your search?

Answer: Not in that part of town were people are too poor to remodel and upgrade their property because they're too busy working five jobs just to keep food on their family's table.

Scenario: Our house is a sixty-year-old bungalow built for oilworkers during the oil boom in proximity to the oil fields here. R was a food stamp baby, and I, as an adoptee, have an incredibly deficient sense of self-confidence (you can read about my unemployability in an earlier post). This is the first house we have ever "owned" (the bank actually owns it since we pay mortgage every month). We felt lucky to have a roof over our head, a place to sleep, a toilet, and a shower for the past six years that we've lived here. Who can afford (or spend the time) to remodel? The joke is that the price of our house tripled in the six years we've "owned" it and now reality bites.

Enter: A prospective buyer who claimed that our house was a "major fixer-upper."

WTF? Hello. All the houses in our part of town are "major fixer-uppers." If that asshat wanted a perfect house, s/he strayed too far into the damn wrong part of town.

My point? The incredible stupidity of arrogance is a major factor in the process of dehuminization and destruction of the planet. This buyer is, to me, a fine specimen of such stupidity. This is (again to me) just another piece of the same pie that perpetuates and sanctifies adoption. It all boils down to the golden rule: He who owns the gold makes the rules. I feel violated once again. EEEEWW. I need to cleanse my palate.

My homeless activist friend Kendra who I dearly love just turned me on to this wonderful site:

Cultural Creatives

Grief stricken and lonely and guiltridden and unemployable and broken-hearted as I have always been, I so long for an oasis of momentary escape. This site provides me with one. I know there are more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home